09/15/13 12:38 AM
09/15/13 12:38 AM
Oley, Berks County, Pa
mikhen Offline OP
Spend More Time Camping than Working
mikhen  Offline OP

Oley, Berks County, Pa
I'm not one to say told you so, but, I did say to go during the week instead of the weekend. That was a while ago. Problem is, Hersheypark is still open and traffic for the show and the park go through the same entrance, then merge.

Really need to get my blogs back up to date

-available-
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15472
09/15/13 02:23 AM
09/15/13 02:23 AM
Juniata county, PA
HappyCamper2 Offline
Camping is My Life
HappyCamper2  Offline
Camping is My Life

Juniata county, PA
We went when we were able MIke, I have a husband who is extremely ill and we need our paid time off in the event we need it for testing and/or surgeries and treatments, that is why we went on a weekend, we had no choice.

Last edited by mikhen; 09/15/13 08:27 PM.

Barb/HappyCamper2
-------------------
Camping isn't my life, my grandchildren are!
-------------------
2013 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab
2011 Summerland trailer 26ft
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15473
09/15/13 02:29 AM
09/15/13 02:29 AM
Oley, Berks County, Pa
mikhen Offline OP
mikhen  Offline OP

Oley, Berks County, Pa
I hear ya. That is why we went on the weekend last year. that darn work stuff gets in the way.

Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15486
09/15/13 04:24 PM
09/15/13 04:24 PM
PA
Grizzly Girl Offline
Seasonal Camper
Grizzly Girl  Offline
Seasonal Camper

PA
I would have to disagree a little with the RV show. We went this year and yes there was a traffic issue but that would be expected at any large event. We were able to find out lots of information there plus won a few prizes as well. I did see that there was handicap services there as well as seeing golf cart taxi's going around a lot. All in all I believe that I would go back next year if I am able to. I would have to agree a little with the food venders, there should have been more there for large crowds out side. But if you went in the convention center and walked away from the main entrance we was able to find a food vender that there was not very long lines and rather quick service.

Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... #15492
09/15/13 08:21 PM
09/15/13 08:21 PM
Oley, Berks County, Pa
mikhen Offline OP
mikhen  Offline OP

Oley, Berks County, Pa
popcorn

Last edited by mikhen; 09/15/13 08:32 PM.

Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15508
09/16/13 01:53 PM
09/16/13 01:53 PM
PA
Grizzly Girl Offline
Seasonal Camper
Grizzly Girl  Offline
Seasonal Camper

PA
We apparently had two different experiences at the show this year. As we parked in the so called overflow parking in the parking lot near Hershey Park and had the option to have a shuttle to the stair/ramp to the convention center. We also did not have a long wait in traffic as well. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience out there but as my opinion ours was a good experience and we did not have issues out there. One one other note I did see many people stop and ask about the taxi service they had when they seen a cart driving by. Not sure if that would be proper protocol but that is one observation that I noticed. The handicap service I was referring to was with the taxi I never said anything about restrooms that there was there, I am well aware that there is state and federal laws out there for that I was just stating about the parking that we were at. I am not going to argue about all of this, I was just stating my opinion on the RV show in general which we was pleased with it.

Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15523
09/16/13 10:51 PM
09/16/13 10:51 PM
Everett, PA
P
pyromug Offline
Lerch RV Customer
pyromug  Offline
Lerch RV Customer
Overnight Camper
P

Everett, PA
We went Friday, arrived shortly after 9:00 and parked fairly close to the bridge. Since the park wasn't open, we didn't have to park in the field. There was a huge parking area for handicap in the same area the exhibitors park (this is where we used to park in the past on the other side of the Giant Center from the park) so we were bummed we could not park in our regular area, but really couldn't complain!

We didn't use the taxi's this year, but did in the past. They will take you anywhere in the show and out to your car if you are in the handicap lot (At least they did last year) and there is no cost. You can just flag one down. That is probably why one didn't make it to the stop. (It may have dropped off a load of people somewhere and then picked up another right away) I imagine on the weekend it would be tough to get one!

Our big dissappointment was collecting the buttons for Campers World. In the past you went into a money machine for "cash" to use in their store area. We got enough in the past years to get camping tables for around the fire. This year you spun a wheel. We got koozies!

We packed lunch because we remembered the food situation from the past. I cannot believe they don't have more stands! Or invite food trucks in.

Overall, we really enjoyed the show again and love seeing the design innovations! We did leave when it got crowded. This was our 4th year and will go again next year. (We ordered our Open Range there in 2010)

A few last notes:
1. We are thinking about camping there next year. It costs $25 (for dry camping but free honey truck service) and you are in the lot near the handicap lot/exhibitor parking. Then we would have our food within a short walk too!
2. Remember it is a manufacturer show. Lerch only had Open Ranges there because they are there for that manufacturer (correct me if I am wrong, Chris)
3. The maps were wrong! In the past they were better.

Last edited by pyromug; 09/16/13 10:54 PM.
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15524
09/16/13 10:59 PM
09/16/13 10:59 PM
Juniata county, PA
HappyCamper2 Offline
Camping is My Life
HappyCamper2  Offline
Camping is My Life

Juniata county, PA
Yep Pyro, I think it depends on when you arrive. For those that came in the afternoon , it was nothing short of a nightmare. I got lots of good info though so all was not lost. Also, let me make myself perfectly clear here since so much is being read into what I post, I said I was disappointed that Lerch only had Open Range there, It was not a complaint and I was aware of why they only had Open Range. Lerch did give us some direction on where to see the model we were looking into at the show which was most helpful.... however, at that point I was unable to physically continue and see it inside, as I couldn't get up the step due to my hip locking but at least I got to see the model up close on the outside.

Last edited by HappyCamper2; 09/17/13 12:08 AM.

Barb/HappyCamper2
-------------------
-------------------
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15526
09/16/13 11:10 PM
09/16/13 11:10 PM
Juniata county, PA
HappyCamper2 Offline
Camping is My Life
HappyCamper2  Offline
Camping is My Life

Juniata county, PA
Whoopie!! We just got a call from Dick's sporting goods.....we won a hundred dollar gift certificate at the RV show!! No strings attached, gift card is in the mail! Well that makes all the crap we went throught closer to worth it hahahhaha

Barb/HappyCamper2
-------------------
-------------------
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15532
09/17/13 01:21 PM
09/17/13 01:21 PM
Milroy, PA
Lerch RV Offline
Compare our Prices and Save!
Lerch RV  Offline

Milroy, PA
The Hershey Show is America's largest RV show for a reason. And Pyro you are correct in that it is strictly a manufacturer show. Basically the manufacturer dictate what floor plans a dealer will display as well as pick which dealership, they want to represent them. We use to display Sprinter and Open Range, however at the time Sprinter was having internal issues and their product was slipping. So we decided to give up that product at the Hershey RV show, we are still the Mid-Atlantic's largest Sprinter RV dealer. But we are the #1 Open Range dealership in sales volume east of the Mississippi, and with one dealer larger than us in the nation. And we always have a large Open Range RV display at the show, which requires us to us all available man power to set up, work and tear down. Where as dealers such as Camping World, brings in temp workers, and their top closers from all over the nation to work their deals. And more than likely you will never speak to your sales person again after the show. But from a dealer stand point the show was a normal show for us. I spent over a week there, and it ran as normal as I can recall....

Lerch RV, PA's Largest Keystone and Open Range RV Dealer.

Remember we make Buying Easy!
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15541
09/17/13 10:10 PM
09/17/13 10:10 PM
Juniata county, PA
HappyCamper2 Offline
Camping is My Life
HappyCamper2  Offline
Camping is My Life

Juniata county, PA
Yes, I agree Chris, once in the venue, we had very little problems. We don't eat out so the food lines didn't bother us. We used the restrooms inside which had no lines. There was more than a wealth of information at the show which we took advantage of....and we did visit Lerch, again we were disappointed not to see some other models there with Lerch, but we understood why that was the way it was. Our issues were with the overall organization of accessibility and traffic flow both and and outside the venue and the poor maps.

Barb/HappyCamper2
-------------------
-------------------
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15544
09/17/13 10:17 PM
09/17/13 10:17 PM
Oley, Berks County, Pa
mikhen Offline OP
mikhen  Offline OP

Oley, Berks County, Pa
In my opinion, based on last year and the year before, the traffic and parking problems were due to the weekend crowd and Hersheypark still being open. Of course, going during the week isn't usually an option because of that work thing.
Inside the Giant Center, there were almost no food lines, but I have to agree that the outside food area could use some help.
We saw shuttle buses each of the last 2 years and they were being used heavily.
The traffic around Hershey Park is ridiculous. It's not a very good design to have the arena and park crowds enter at the same place.
With all that being said, I still wish we could have found time to go to the show this year.

Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15547
09/17/13 10:54 PM
09/17/13 10:54 PM
Juniata county, PA
HappyCamper2 Offline
Camping is My Life
HappyCamper2  Offline
Camping is My Life

Juniata county, PA
Ya its a shame, if the planning was better, it wouldn't have been such a bad experience for so many. Had we gone before, we would have known not to arrive at peak traffic time, early afternoon. I bet there were not near the problems early in the morning...and we probably could have gotten into a " real parking lot" and had access to transportation or even been able to walk easily into the venue. Will know now for next time, if there is one.

Last edited by HappyCamper2; 09/17/13 10:55 PM.

Barb/HappyCamper2
-------------------
-------------------
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15561
09/18/13 03:05 PM
09/18/13 03:05 PM
Milroy, PA
Lerch RV Offline
Lerch RV  Offline

Milroy, PA
If you get there when the show opens, at 9am you can normally just drive right in.. I always travel to Hershey via 322 to 81 up to the Manada hill exit which puts you on rt 39 all the way to the park. A lot less traffic. And once at the Giant Center you are able to beat the crowds to show.

Lerch RV, PA's Largest Keystone and Open Range RV Dealer.

Remember we make Buying Easy!
Re: Hershey show reaction and thoughts.... [Re: mikhen] #15570
09/18/13 10:33 PM
09/18/13 10:33 PM
Juniata county, PA
HappyCamper2 Offline
Camping is My Life
HappyCamper2  Offline
Camping is My Life

Juniata county, PA
Good advice for next year Chris.....

Barb/HappyCamper2
-------------------
-------------------
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Advert
FREE Stickers - Get Other CPA Gear Here !

Just hot off the press

Check it out!

Click For More Info
ALSO - Check out our new Interactive Campgrounds Map
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 0 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
howorld, opqrst975910, Dmrgnester, steved26, hankyk
1142 Registered Users
Upcoming events
Random Pictures
Forum Statistics
Forums98
Topics8,581
Posts18,396
Members1,142
Most Online579