CampingPA.com

Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire

Posted By: pyromug

Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/19/13 03:53 AM

I love to experiment cooking over the campfire. Recently I cooked breakfast for 19 people! I had a breakfast casserole recipe that I baked in my portable oven in the past, but knowing the varied palates of my family, I didn't want to make one casserole, so I devised a way to satisfy each individual taste with this breakfast "frittata".

These can be made in a small (8 inch) cast iron skillet, muffin pans, or as I like, in my wedge cornbread pans.

The night before:
Mix up 1/2 to 1 egg with a few tablespoons milk for each person. Add some seasoned salad croutons to this (we like the garlic and cheese ones) (so they float, don't over load as they expand overnight!- if you put in too many, just add more milk and/or egg in the morning) I also like to add some shredded sharp cheddar cheese to this. I don't like to use salt/pepper when I cook (I tend to like saltiness, so I put it on after cooking) but you can also season it at this time.

The next morning, start your fire and get some good coals for cooking. I use a portable rack or the rack on the firerings at the campground. Heat up your cast iron skillet or pan. Spray with cooking spray and place your choice of extras in the bottom...precooked is better... (it is also good just with the mix). My husband likes bacon, I like mushrooms and bacon, we have also used onions, peppers and mushrooms. I think sausage would work also. Spread a spoonful of the egg/milk/crouton/cheese mix over the "toppings". Let cook until the sides are set up. Flip your frittata and cook just a few minutes on the second side. And you have breakfast!

This can also be done in half a mountain pie maker. Just make sure to heat it over the fire first and spray it with cooking spray. I still like to rest it on a grill over the fire so I don't lose the filling!
Posted By: CampingPA Ranger

Re: Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/19/13 04:23 AM

Sounds Great !

Sounds like a great easy way to get breakfast moving in the morning, especially for alot of people !

Thanks for sharing...

Off to the kitchen now, I am hungry !

campfire
Posted By: sorefoot

Re: Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/19/13 12:08 PM

warm some chunky salsa and top your frittata with it.That is the way I like them.
Posted By: mikhen

Re: Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/19/13 11:48 PM

I may have to try that this weekend.
Posted By: HappyCamper2

Re: Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/19/13 11:52 PM

I have been cooking over a campfire all my life....and sometimes I read these posts and feel like an amateur.....I am going to have to hang out with some of you to get back into the swing of campfire cooking!
Posted By: Grizzly Girl

Re: Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/20/13 01:16 PM

sounds like something we do over the fire when we are out. Love to have a home cooked breakfast over the fire while camping.
Posted By: dgsummy

Re: Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/25/13 12:41 PM

Sounds delicious, thanks for the recipe!
Posted By: pyromug

Re: Breakfast "Frittata" over the campfire - 06/26/13 02:31 PM

This past weekend, I cooked them in my 8 inch cast iron skillet over the campfire. Flipped it just like a pancake! One skillet fed two people (I used 3 eggs and about 1/4 bag of the crouton and it made two in the 8 inch pan - one with bacon and one with veggies). Then I topped it off with some cheese! This was even easier than the individual ones!
© 2019 CampingPA, your online camping family